[Originally posted on August 11, 2009 at www.philsteele.com/Blogs/Individual_Team_blogs/BYU_Blog.html]
Players reported on Friday and the team held the first practice on Saturday. Since I cannot be at practice in person, I will not be breaking any camp news this fall, but I will keep everyone updated on the big picture and report important roster changes and other items of interest. Here are the notable stories after day one:
• Rick Wolfley, who had been expected to compete for the backup spot at NT, has quit the team to focus on school.
• Tyler Kozlowski, expected to contribute on special teams and add depth at WR, also quit the team for personal reasons.
• Robbie Buckner, a redshirt freshman return missionary, has jumped out in front as the player to beat at the open corner spot (over the three incoming JC transfers)
• McKay Jacobsen, who returned from a mission and will be a sophomore WR, confirmed reports of being ready to contribute this season by winning the annual run up Y Mountain, being the first player to arrive at the top.
• Brett Thompson, Mitch Matthews, and Cody Hoffman—all true freshman WRs—already turned heads and should compete for time in the WR rotation. In particular, look for Thompson to find the field sooner than later.
• Houston Reynolds, freshman return missionary looks like he is on track to find a place on the offensive line two deep.